My boys have been well and truly been bitten by the space bug! They are both very interested in the solar system and all things space related – resulting in our DIY Rocket Spaceship. We got out a couple of space related books from the library, painted a solar system artwork and played with their toy space station.
The only thing missing was a space rocket!
We read that rocket spaceships are for blasting people or things into space. We talked about planets, how many there were and that our toilet roll aliens might be from one of these other planets! We read about stars and the boys were very surprised that the sun was also a star. I explained that the Earth and the planets go around the sun and that it takes Earth a whole year to go all the way around.
My boys don’t understand what a year is (except that it’s how long they have to wait for Santa, each Christmas!)
Our DIY Rocket Spaceship is made from a disposable soft drink bottle. We love the concept that we get to reuse, repurpose and recycle everyday objects. It’s so important that our children understand the benefits of recycling on the planet. It fitted with our space and planets discussion!
This DIY Rocket Spaceship craft is so easy to make and mostly involves painting which my boys love to do. This craft encourages creativity as your space rocket can be painted as creatively as you like. It’s also a great fine motor skill workout, imaginative play as well as a great lesson on earth sciences and planets (age dependent).
Hope your little ones enjoy counting down to blast off and zooming around with rockets like my boys have!WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THE DIY ROCKET SPACESHIP:
- 1 x plastic disposable soft drink bottle
- 2 x toilet roll tubes
- Coloured paper scraps
- Peel the label off the plastic drink bottle and paint as preferred using acrylic paint. We painted ours red, blue and yellow with white portholes.
- Paint the two toilet roles as preferred. We painted ours red to match the rocket spaceship’s main body.
- Cut out two circles from coloured paper to make cone shapes and glue the cones to the top of the two painted toilet roles.
- Use a glue gun to glue the toilet rolls to the sides of the rocket spaceship.
* This post and all associated images have been supplied by the lovely Rossa from Curious Little People. Follow her on Instagram for more creative inspirations!