The boys and I discussed and explored the subject of outer space recently. We discussed planets, aliens as well as the possibility that aliens could exist. This concept really captured their imaginations and so we decided to make our own toilet roll aliens!
To my boys the world is filled with people and animals and the thought that there could be another form of life out there, filled them with wonder!
They had huge amounts of fun dreaming up cute and strange little aliens that would someday come to visit planet Earth. We looked around the house for supplies and we decided toilet rolls would be perfect for the alien bodies. Toilet rolls are always a readily available craft supply and using them is a great way to educate on the importance of reusing and recycling everyday items.
This DIY toilet roll alien craft is brilliant for encouraging creative thought. Your alien creations can be as varied and colourful as the craft supplies that you own! I wasn’t surprised that the boys painted all of their aliens in different colours… their painting projects have all been colourful lately. This is a great activity for developing fine motor skills through all of the painting and gluing – we even threaded some beads onto the alien arms as we were having so much fun with it.
Feel free to use the instructions below as a starting point. Go ahead and put out a collection of various craft supplies and watch as your childrens’ imaginations run wild as they make their toilet roll aliens!WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THE TOILET ROLL ALIENS:
- Toilet rolls
- Popsicle sticks (ours were coloured)
- Coloured pipe cleaners
- Googly eyes
- Coloured beads
- Paint the toilet rolls as preferred.
- To make the alien’s neck, use a scissor to cut down a popsicle stick (paint the popsicle stick if they are not coloured) and glue on top end of toilet roll.
- To make alien’s eyes, glue googly eyes on to the ends of the popsicle stick neck.
- To make alien’s feet, use a scissor to cut popsicle stick into preferred shape and glue onto bottom end of toilet roll.
- To make arms, use a scissor to poke holes onto sides of toilet roll and push pipe cleaners through.
- Thread beads onto alien’s arms for added interest.
* This post and all associated images have been supplied by the lovely Rossa from Curious Little People. Follow her on Instagram for more creative inspirations!